Up to £5 million of funding is available from the Department for International Development (DFID) and the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF). This is for projects working on agri-tech and food chain innovations with partners in eligible African countries.
Innovate UK are running 3 strands to this competition at the same time:
- Early stage feasibility studies (this competition)
- Mid-stage industrial research
- Late stage experimental development
It is your responsibility to make sure you are applying for the correct strand.
The aim of this competition is to increase the pace of innovation in the development of agricultural and food systems in Africa. Your project must result in more use of innovations by farmers and food systems organisations such as manufacturers, processors, retailers, distributors and wholesalers.
The competition closes at midday 12pm UK time on the deadline stated.
Your proposal must show the potential to have a positive impact on poverty through the uptake of agricultural and food systems technology and innovation.
You can choose from one or more of the following areas:
- primary crop and livestock production, including aquaculture
- non-food uses of crops, excluding ornamentals
- challenges in food processing, distribution or storage, and value addition (such as through a change in the physical state or form of the product)
- improving the availability and accessibility of safe, healthy and nutritious foods
Your project’s innovations must:
- be sustainable in the context of environmental challenges such as climate change and resource scarcity
- minimise negative effects such as pollution, food loss and waste
- promote safe, healthy and nutritious diets
- 14 October 2019 - Competition opens
- 24 October 2019 - Birmingham briefing and consortium building event
- 6 November 2019 - Online briefing event: crops
- 6 November 2019 - Online briefing event: livestock and aquaculture
- 6 November 2019 - Online briefing event: food systems and nutrition
- 8 January 2020 12:00pm - Competition closes
- 3 April 2020 - Applicants notified
Interested in applying? Myriad Associates can help.
- Win Rate - Myriad Associates’ boast a strong success rate with Innovate UK applications.
- Winning Application - February 2019 Smart Grant winners. In the February round of Smart Grants, we secured a winning bid on behalf of one of our clients.
- Honest & Trustworthy – We will not waste your time or money. If we feel your application won't succeed, we will tell you before we undertake the application process.
- Maximised Application - Benefiting from our expert grant writers will ensure your claim is maximised.
- Risk-free Eligibility Call – Call us for a free eligibility call to see if you have an application worth applying for.
Click here to discuss your application with one of our expert grant bid writers or visit Innovate UK to find out more
For more information on this grant, please visit https://apply-for-innovation-funding.service.gov.uk/competition/447/overview