Go Back To All News
Opened on the 16 June 2020, this competition strand is to facilitate UK supply chain and manufacturing capability growth in power electronics, machines and drives (PEMD). This is to enable future improvements in:
What funding is available?
Innovate UK have allocated up to £5 million to fund innovation projects in this competition.
If your organisation’s work on the project is mostly commercial or economic, your funding request must not exceed the limits below. These limits apply even if your organisation normally acts non-economically.
For industrial research projects, you could get funding for your eligible project costs of:
- up to 70% if you are a micro or small organisation
- up to 60% if you are a medium-sized organisation
- up to 50% if you are a large organisation
For experimental development projects which are nearer to market, you could get funding for your eligible project costs of:
- up to 45% if you are a micro or small organisation
- up to 35% if you are a medium-sized organisation
- up to 25% if you are a large organisation
The research organisations undertaking non-economic activity as part of the project can share up to 30% of the total eligible project costs.
Your project must:
- have total eligible costs between £100,000 and £500,000
- start by 1 November 2020
- last between 3 and 9 months
If your project’s total eligible costs falls outside of our eligibility criteria, you must provide justification by email to email@example.com at least 10 working days before the competition closes. Innovate UK will decide whether to approve your request.
To lead a project your organisation must:
- be a UK registered business of any size
- collaborate with other UK registered businesses, research organisations, public sector organisations or charities
- carry out its project work in the UK
- intend to exploit the results in the UK
Academic institutions and RTOs cannot lead.
Find out which definition your organisation falls into.
The aim of this competition strand is to facilitate UK supply chain and manufacturing capability growth in power electronics, machines and drives (PEMD). This is to enable future improvements in:
Your proposal must be able to start by 1 November 2020, show a demonstrable benefit to the UK PEMD supply chain, ideally impact on more than one application sector and demonstrate future return on investment.
Your project must be stand-alone with clear deliverables and must be exploitable through future activities.
Innovate UK are looking to fund a portfolio of projects, across the breadth of the supply chain for power electronics, machines and drives that help us to achieve the objectives for the Driving the Electric Revolution challenge.
Your project can focus on one or more of the following:
Manufacturing process development, such as:
- innovations and approaches to improve manufacturing productivity
- implementation of an innovative new tool into a process line
- automation of a specific process
- reconfiguring a process line in an innovative way to improve productivity or flexibility
Design for manufacture, such as:
- designing/redesigning a product where the focus is on how you manufacture it more efficiently and cost effectively
- specification of a manufacturing process
- virtual process development (VPD) including improvements in modelling and simulation software
- developments which enable products to be manufactured with recycling taken into consideration
Circular economy, including:
- scale-up of processes for the recycling and recovery of materials from end-of-life PEMD products
- life-cycle and embedded carbon analysis with a view of process improvement
- waste reduction and process energy efficiency improvements
Innovative testing and validation processes:
- virtual product validation
- scale-up and/or automation of testing and validation processes, with an aim of increasing productivity
This list is not intended to be exhaustive.
- Competition opens: 16 June 2020
- Competition closes: 29 July 2020 11:00am
- Applicants notified: 28 August 2020
Interested in applying? Myriad Associates can help
- Win Rate - Myriad Associates’ boast a strong success rate with Innovate UK applications.
- Proven templates & tools for success - Our templates make it easy to collaborate & prepare a winning bid.
- Honest & Trustworthy – We will not waste your time or money. If we feel your application won't succeed, we will tell you before we undertake the application process.
- Highly rated UK & European bid writers - We have a highly experienced team of bid writers with proven UK & European success. In 2018/19, we secured over €50m in grant funding for our clients.
- Unlimited revisions - Our grant writers provide feedback on both successful and unsuccessful grant applications. We review this feedback with you to give you ongoing advice and guidance.
- Risk-free Eligibility Call – Call us for a free eligibility call to see if you have an application worth applying for.
Click here to discuss your application with one of our expert grant bid writers or visit Innovate UK to find out more.
Where do I find more information?
For more information on this grant, please visit: https://apply-for-innovation-funding.service.gov.uk/competition/648/overview
Alternatively, contact us if you'd like to know whether your project would likely qualify for this grant.