Go Back To All News
This competition is aimed at SMEs that have developed and manufactured innovative medical devices, diagnostics or regulated digital healthcare products.
You must have gained a CE marking for your product and it must already be available for the NHS to purchase, but not marketed in the UK for more than 5 years. You must collect supporting clinical evidence of its performance, cost-effectiveness and impact in the NHS. If we decide to fund you, this evidence may help increase uptake of your product within the NHS.
The Office for Life Sciences (OLS) will work with Innovate UK, as part of UK Research and Innovation, to invest up to £1.5 million in innovation projects. These will support developers of innovative medical devices, diagnostics and regulated digital technology to evaluate their product in a real-world clinical setting.
Who Can Apply:
Priority will be given to projects that are related to:
- ageing well
- digital transformation
- learning disabilities and autism
- mental health
- personalised care
- primary care
- starting well
Any UK business claiming funding must be eligible to receive state aid at the time we confirm you will be awarded funding. If you are unsure please take legal advice. For further information see Innovate UK's general guidance.
Meeting Innovate UK's eligibility criteria
The total eligible project costs can be up to £50,000 for option 1 and up to £250,000 for option 2.
You can apply for funding of up to 50% of the total eligible project costs. Therefore, option 1 applications can claim a grant of up to £25,000. Option 2 applications can claim a grant of up to £125,000.
Projects must start by 12 December 2019 and must be completed by the end of December 2020.
Projects must have a total duration of between 3 and 12 month
To lead a project or work alone you must:
- be an SME based in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland
- carry out your project within the NHS
- have a product that is aligned with at least one of the NHS’s priority healthcare areas, such as those reviewed in the NHS Long Term Plan
- have a product that is already available for the NHS to purchase, but that has been marketed in the UK for less than 5 years
- outline relevant discussions you have had with the main stakeholders, such as the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), National Institute for Health and Care Excellence and Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs), to demonstrate the feasibility of your proposal
- have gained a CE marking for your product
SMEs can work alone or in collaboration with other businesses or research organisations as non-grant claiming partners or sub-contractors. Only the SME leading the project will be eligible to claim grant funding
The competition will support the development or design of plans for the collection of clinical data in a real-world setting, and also support the running of these studies.
Your proposal must:
- describe the innovative or CE-marked device
- show how your product is likely to have a significant impact, including increasing patient access to innovative technologies where appropriate
- demonstrate how the product meets the priority needs, such as those reviewed in the NHS Long Term Plan
- provide evidence that you are working with appropriate stakeholders including NICE, NHS, NIHR and AHSNs
- outline how your study will allow NICE to evaluate the data you collect
Your project must:
- focus on understanding evidence gaps and testing product performance to explain the operational impact of your product on the NHS
- add data to the evidence base that can contribute to the health technology appraisal process, for instance by comparing the use of the new product with the current standard of care
- involve potential breakthrough technologies
- help improve methods and systems
More info can be found here
- Competition opens: Tuesday 23 February 2019
- Tuesday 19 February 2019 - Online briefing event
- Competition closes: Wednesday 3 July 2019, 12:00pm
- Applicants notified: Friday 6 September 2019
Interested in applying? We can help.
- Win Rate - Myriad Associates’ boast a 70% success rate with Innovate UK applications.
- Winning Application - We’ve had some of the highest scoring applications in Europe. In fact, we recently helped 4 medical Irish companies win a total of €14.9m in the Irish DTIF Grant Funding competition.
- Honest & Trustworthy – We will not waste your time or money. If we feel your application won't succeed, we will tell you before we undertake the application process.
- Maximised Application - Benefiting from our expert grant writers will ensure your claim is maximised.
- Risk-free Eligibility Call – Call us for a free eligibility call to see if you have an application worth applying for.
Click here to discuss your application with one of our expert grant bid writers or visit Innovate UK to find out more